marc on Wed, 3 May 2000 08:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] System Crash

If the MB uses jumpers to set speed and voltage set them to the correct
settings.  If that doesn't help use an ISA video card and use the minimum
amount of RAM.  If the machine does not POST swap the power supply.  If no
POST and the video is good then bad CPU or bad MB or bad RAM.  Process of
elimination.  If it starts to work start adding components until it fails.
I have experienced the same thing when a proc fan failed.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of vkenny
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 11:46 AM
To: tech@neverlight.com; geeks@quarterleaf.com; plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [PLUG] System Crash

First My apologies to those recieving this in duplicate and triplicate,
my apologies
Second, to the PLUG list, this is not exactly a Linux question, but i'm
desperate...

Last night at 10:15, my system frose, no ping nada..
surprising, but no big deal, just reboot, wait through the tests,
fortunately all was well
this morning when I went to polish off sme work I had done, the thing
froze again, now I was worried..again dead..
reboot again..and nothing..

Hardware in question
ASUS P2L97 MoBo
PII 300 overclocked to 337 Mhz runs at 92 deg. F.
150 Mb SDRAM
Adaptec 2940 U SCSI adapter
    seagate drives 2 barracudas, 1 hawk.  the hawk is in an external
array
Diamond V550 Video card AGP
no, I have not hot plugged  the keyboard..
I think thats all of the pertinent hardware

Symptoms..
on boot the screen is black, no POST, nothing, not a flicker
the fans kick in, and the drices spin, including the array.
the light on the 2940 comes on steady
no floppy twitch for boot..
CDRoms flicker then stop
the drives attempt to boot based on the sound they are making, then stop
after about 15 seconds
the light for the 2940 never budges, steady on
that's it.

What I've done..
pulled the drives and dusted them all, making sure there was no
particles on the connections or chips
pulled the RAM and CPU and dusted
dusted the MoBo
Pulled the cards and dusted slots and cards
ckecked all wires and ribbon cables for wear, all are intact
obviously reconnected everything

suggestions?
This is my primary work system, with all of my work, and backups, email,
everything..basically, I'm F*ed without it.

I did notice that on one of the smaller (really descriptive, ain't it?)
chips on the MoBo had whitish deposits, almost like calcium buildup
which came off easily.
BTW, I *never* dust with compressed air, I always use a grounded camel's
hair brush, so there's no concerns with a particle imbedded under a chip
or in a slot..

Thanks Folks.
Vale