Kevin Brosius on Wed, 3 May 2000 09:40:52 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] chess

> I have some interest in chess.  The recent slashdot article on solving
> chess (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/04/20/019221), a subject I've
> pondered a bit, caused this interest to resurface.
>
> I have begun playing with 3 neat toys.  In order:
>
> GNU chess (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/chess or package name gnuchess):
> This is an AI that will play against you.  I generally get about 18 moves
> before getting checkmated.  It's got a very primitave text interface that
> I wouldn't want to spend much time using.  But it's compatible with...
>
> xboard:  A chess gui.  That's all.  It won't play you.  But it will work
> as a frontend to gnu chess, and...
>
> www.freechess.org:  Very neat.  They have GUIs for like, everything (they
> suggest xboard for linux).  Run "xboard -ics -icshost freechess.org" and
> it'll load up xboard, and start a telnet like connection to freechess.org.
> You can log in, and find other people to play against, and then play them.
>
> Looks like I got 41 moves before getting mated with this random guy in an
> unrated game.  He must have sucked :)
>
> I'm going to go get my ass whupped in a rated game now.
>
> Feel free to connect to freechess.org & "tell Darxus I'm here to kick your
> ass."

Sounds like fun.  I played a few yours ago on a couple of chess servers
using Win clients as front ends.  'twas fun.  Been away for to long.
I'll have to look for you, although it won't be until Thur or Fri night
until I get a chance.  (And I'm very rusty, so you get to kick my butt
if you're up for it!)

--
Kevin Brosius