Bill Jonas on Wed, 3 May 2000 11:55:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] AMD vs Intel, 486DX4/100

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Greg Lopp wrote:

>Is this a fresh system or is there an old chip/configuration that you can
>revert to?

Wow -- thanks for all the useful info.

Well, DOS boots up just fine.  I guess you could consider it a fresh
system, from my point of view, since I just got it.  No mobo docs --
such is the buying system that is eBay.  Anyhow, there aren't any
markings on the motherboard to indicate its origin; so, a description:
o 8 ISA slots (3 of them are 8-bit only, and of the remaining slots, 3
  are VLB)
o 3 72-pin SIMM sockets, 4 30-pin SIMM sockets
o (baby?-)AT form factor
o No integrated I/O
o ZIF socket (apparently designed for processor upgrades, as there are a
  couple of unused rows of pins)
o 8 long, skinny DIP ICs marked 'ISSI'
o AMI BIOS marked with a 1992 copyright (the BIOS setup itself says it's
  of vintage  1994), marked "486DX ISA BIOS" and "AB2800 368", and the
  BIOS will do such things as LBA mode and 32-bit mode
o Largish square IC marked
  "OPTi
   82C895
   TAIWAN 9517IE"
o Smallish rectangular IC marked with an energySTAR sticker
o Largish rectangular DIP IC marked "Regional HT6542A" at the end of 3
  ISA slots, between them and the case
o "T. W." is printed on the mobo PCB between two ISA slots

That's pretty much all of the identifying marks and distinguishing
features I could find.  Whether it's enough for anybody to go on to
determine if it's Intel-compatible is another matter.  If more info is
required, I'll try to supply it.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)

Harry Browne for President:  http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/
Visit me at                  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/