rscudder on Fri, 5 May 2000 10:05:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] (no subject)

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Tracy Nelson wrote:

> > _Java in a Nutshell_ is a good reference book, but I'd hate to try to
learn
> > Java from it.  In fact, I did hate learning Java from it, which is why
> > bought Peter van der Linden's _Just Java 2_.  It's a good book if
you're
> > coming to Java as an experienced programmer.

> Since we expressing two opposite opinions on the Nutshell book, let's
make
> this disagreement useful for people.  What didn't you like about it?

> I liked it because it was direct and to the point, and it covered the
> language in a logical order.  I'll it admit that it probably did help
that
> I was alreay familiar with C++, which they used as a point of comparison.

BTW, one thing that really stuck with me, was the point the writer made
that Java actually has more in common with C than C++.  Most people that
I have spoken with consider Java a "shoe in" for anyone good C++ skills,
but not so much so for a C (only) programmer.

I think that anyone who approaches learning Java with an "I know C++ so I
already know most of Java" attitude is headed for trouble.  BTW Mike,
Please
don't think I am pointing this statement at you.  I know nothing of your
approach toward learning Java (or anything else about you for that matter).
I mean it as a general statement based on things I have read or heard
people
say.

So far I have only done one very small part of a project in Java, so I
don't
know it very well.  I'm hoping to get into it more later on down the road.

Roger Scudder
Developer\Consultant
Annance Consulting
Wayne, PA, USA