M. Simons on Sat, 6 May 2000 23:24:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Sparc Stuff

On Sun, 7 May 2000, Barry Roomberg wrote:
> Oh great Sparc Linux Gurus, I beseech thee:
> I've just come home from the Trenton State Computer Fair.
> I assume the 3/80 is a paper weight, right?  No version
> of Linux because it's a 68xxx, right?  I go to PROM
> diags when I turn it on.

Report from msimons@caip.rutgers.edu : Master Websurfer For Hire

Well, at very least  you should be able to go to NetBSD for the Sun 3/80

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sun3/

As far as I know, there are 68k versions of Linux... lets see if we can
find something that relates specifically to the Suns...

http://friendly.netppl.fi/~pp/sun3/

however.. this page seems to imply that the 3/80 is quite different and
points to this page:
http://www.abandoned.org/nemon/sun3x/
this page, even though having been updated recently, seems to be out of
date...

and of course there is
http://www.linux-m68k.org/

which, for the sun 3 section, really just points to the .fi page above,
but there might be additional information here and there..

and I found the following in my journeys, which might help current or
future questions...

http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
(apparently there is a battery problem with sun nv ram)

also OpenBSD has an effort underway, but it is not complete (you would
probably do better helping out NetBSD..they get their codebase there)

http://www.openbsd.org/sun3.html

Sun 3 series technical overview:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/tech68k/sun3.html

Sun 3 Archive:
http://sun3arc.krupp.net/

which hosts an FTP for SunOS 4.1.1
http://sun3arc.krupp.net/BootTapes/index.phtml

--
           M A S T E R   W E B S U R F E R   F O R   H I R E
msimons@caip.rutgers.edu                           msimons@linuxexpo.net