Jon Nelson on Thu, 11 May 2000 07:33:17 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Computer Crime Talk

darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jon Nelson wrote:
>
> > Thanks Will that was a big help!!
> >
> > Darxus suggested that I tell you guys exactly what I do and that might help the
> > discussion.
> >
> > As Will put so elliquently, Computer Crime and Computer Security are apples and
> > oranges.  I have only a limited knowledge of security issues.  A far as what I
> > do, it's a little of everything.  I have worked homicide, child porn,
> > prostitution, credit card fraud, theft, counterfeiting (software & money),
> > cracking...I was planing on talking about PA law and what constitutes a crime,
> > what we can offer the private sector, and ways of protecting your children
> > online.
>
> I should read all of William's post at some point..
>
> I don't know if you were planning on covering this, but something that
> I've wondered for a while is, if I get hacked -- my personal computer, or
> our machines at work, what can I do, legally ?

I have had a several of those types of cases.  I have even gotten several
convictions on people doing Back Orifice ping sweeps of IP ranges.  I'll talk more
about that next month.  As far as what you can do legally...contact your local law
enforcement or Pa. State Police in Media (484-840-1000) and they know how to get a
hold of me.  Cracking is definitely a crime that can and has been prosecuted.  They
don't even have to destroy or take anything, just the mere fact that they access
your computer without your authorization is a crime.