Michael C. Toren on Wed, 17 May 2000 10:07:29 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Syslog Q

>    Hope somebody can help me.
>
>    I use Red Hat 6. The syslog.conf has a line:
>
>    *.info,mail.none,authpriv.none                 /var/log/messages
>
>    which logs any message classified as type "info" or higher to the file
>    messages in /var/log.

Right, except for syslog facilities mail, and authpriv.

>    I also added a line:
>
>    kern.*     /var/log/kernel.log
>
>    because I want all kernel messages in kernel.log, and not in messages.
>
>    Probably is, I'm getting the kernel messages in *both* places. I know
>    I have to get rid of the "*.info", and instead should list the
>    services individually.

There's a better way, actually.  Just change the messages line to:

	*.info,mail.none,authpriv.none,kern.none	/var/log/messages

>    But what are all the services? I see other entries that mention "Mail.
>    ..." and "news. ..." and "authpriv. ...", so I assume I can specify
>    "mail.info, news.info, authpriv.info". What would the others be? Or
>    where can I look this type of information out?

The syslog(3) man page contains a full list, and the syslog.conf(5) has
some good examples.

-mct