LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 18 May 2000 10:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Can't write to windows side of the disk

Another way is to create a group called dos.  Then make the windows
partition mount points belong to group dos.  Then make sure that the
mount points have read and write permissions set for the group user.
Then add the users to group dos that you want to have read and write
access to your windows partition.

The following is an example of how to do this as root:

addgroup dos
adduser username dos	# add yourself and others to group dos
mkdir -m 660 /dosc	# make the dos mount points read write for only
			# owner and group.  All others have no access
chgrp dos /dosc		# make the mount point belong to group dos

edit your fstab to be able mount the windows partitions.  I personally
add the noauto flag so that only you need access to the windows
partitions they should be mounted.

Kevin Falcone wrote:

>   MWR> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Tom Joyce wrote:
>   >> Anyone know how I can send files to the windows side of the disk or a
>   >> utility in windows that will read the Linux side of the disk?
>
>   MWR> You need to do it as root.
>
> Or mount it with specific user and group settings
>
> from my /etc/fstab:
> /dev/hda1   /mnt/windows  auto defaults,uid=500,gid=100 0 0
>
> or,
>
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -o uid=500,gid=100
>
> Be aware, this leaves your partition writable by anyone in the group
> you specify.
>
> -kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Falcone <kevinfal@seas.upenn.edu>