rscudder on Tue, 23 May 2000 12:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] New Penguin

John...

What I would suggest you consider trying (and what I have done in the past)
is to go ahead and
install everything even if X (the GUI) doesn't start.  If you are given an
option to boot directly into
the GUI, opt instead to boot to the shell.  This way you can use Linux via
the bash shell which is
very much like running MS-DOS (except a gazillion times better).  There are
plenty of non-GUI
apps that you can run without X and you will have access to lots of
documentation that will help
you to understand the whys, whats, and hows of the problem.  Of course you
can probably read
the docs from Windows, but keep in mind that much of Linux is based on the
old UNIX command
shell and any understanding you can gain of it will only enhance your
overall experience.

In most cases like this, the only thing stopping you from using the GUI is
a few lines in your
FX86Config file or maybe the need to copy a different server from the
install disk to the hard drive.
Unless the install program includes your exact hardware configuration (fact
being that most installs
can't hope to cover ALL possible configurations) you will have to configure
X by hand.  Don't let
that scare you too much.  There is lots of documentation, utilities, and
helping folks around and
with a bit of good ol' elbow grease you'll have X running before you know
it!

Roger Scudder
Mail to: rscudder@annance.com

                    "Kelly, John"
                    <JKelly3@harleysville        To:     plug@lists.nothinbut.net
                    group.com>                   cc:
                    Sent by:                     Subject:     [PLUG] New Penguin
                    plug-admin@lists.noth
                    inbut.net

                    05/22/2000 12:35 PM
                    Please respond to
                    plug

Hello,

 I am new to Linux and have purchased a copy of Mandrake 7.0 to install
onto
my PC, but had a great amount of difficulty and finally had to remove it
from my system.  The install did not pickup my video card (SiS560) nor did
it pickup my mouse, which is PS2.  I have been advised to disconnect the
PnP
on my PC prior to trying to install.

 I am trying to find an Installfest in the area to attend. D
 Does anyone know of one that is in the near future in the Philadelphia
area.

 Thank you for your help.

Jkelly3@harleysvillegroup.com