rscudder on Wed, 24 May 2000 10:41:37 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] sendmail

Michael...

I'm not sure I understand... aren't you running the sendmail daemon? I run
sendmail daemon at startup as it was setup by the installation.  I think
you need to have some mail handler running if for no other reason than to
handle system messages to root and the like...  If that is how you are
running it then perhaps I can help...

On a RedHat you would type:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart

This is the only distro I have been running for a while now so I don't know
about the others.  I would think they are similar.  Just browse /etc and
look for the startup scripts to be sure you got it right.  They should be
named rc???  I think some distros have it set up with different scripts for
the different run levels.  Well they all do, but the configuration RedHat
uses hide those details to some extent.

I would just let sendmail run as daemon and if you want to send a message
just do a sendmail -t and it will scan the text for a to: cc: bcc:

Roger Scudder
Mail to: rscudder@annance.com

i have just began to play with sendmail, i am running it on a server with a

fixed ip

how do I restart sendmail?

i kill the pid, but when I type
/usr/sbin/sendmail

it says recipient names must be specified.

also another question... when I try to exit su it says there are stopped
jobs (as a result of my messing with sendmail I am sure)

what do i do about that?

Michael P. Whitman
Programmer
LAW.com