darxus on Thu, 25 May 2000 10:53:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Trevor J Martin wrote:

> My question is : What would be the best distribution of linux to throw
> on this box?
>                         the purpose of this box is:
>                        1) Samba Server:
>                        2) NFS Server.
>                        3) Inet Gateway/Firewall

I'm trying to think of who around here would say what.  I know we've got
several debian advocates around here.  There was at least one suse guy,
but I think not active on this list.  And I can't really think of any
redhat advocates.

My vote is Debian.

I run Debian at home, and RedHat on the servers at work (that's how I
inhereted them).

There are 2 major differences

1) package management:  apt is a beautiful thing, when some redhat coder
   finally gets around to trying it, they'll start using it, I'm sure.
2) philosopy:  RedHat is commercial, Debian is GNU to the core.