darxus on Thu, 25 May 2000 14:07:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Sharing distros

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Leone wrote:

> Q: It's legal to make copies of any of the Linux distros, and either give'em
> away, or sell'em, correct?

As long as there isn't propriatary commercial software bundled.  But there
might be.  Anything that can be downloaded off their ftp site is fair game
though -- for example, the ISOs (cd images) of the latest release that you
could download & burn to disk.

> Because I've got a CD burner, and don't mind making a few copies of RedHat
> (I have v6, and 5.2). Also the Mandrake, Storm Linux  and old Slackwares (v
> 4 & 3.5) CDs I mentioned earlier. Maybe we can set something up at the
> meetings - pick up an OS for $1, which would go either to the person burning

Would be a nice thing to do.

> the CD as re-imbursement (blank CDs are only about a buck apiece at the
> computer shows), or given to the IQ folks, for providing the food and rooms.

No need to give IQ money.