Michael Leone on Thu, 25 May 2000 14:29:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Sharing distros

Huh.

OK, how can I find out what software *is* propreitary? I just kind of
assumed that anything on the distributed CD (which - again - I assumed was
the same as the ISO images available at the ftp sites) was fair game. Which
was how CheapBytes could sell every distro for $1.99 (that has to be CD
re-imbursement cost; no way would that cover charges for proprietary
software). Anybody know for sure otherwise?

I've got DSL (supposedly) being installed 1st week of June. I could download
some ISO images after then, I suppose.

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Michael Leone wrote:
>
> > Q: It's legal to make copies of any of the Linux distros, and either
give'em
> > away, or sell'em, correct?
>
> As long as there isn't propriatary commercial software bundled.  But there
> might be.  Anything that can be downloaded off their ftp site is fair game
> though -- for example, the ISOs (cd images) of the latest release that you
> could download & burn to disk.
>
> > Because I've got a CD burner, and don't mind making a few copies of
RedHat
> > (I have v6, and 5.2). Also the Mandrake, Storm Linux  and old Slackwares
(v
> > 4 & 3.5) CDs I mentioned earlier. Maybe we can set something up at the
> > meetings - pick up an OS for $1, which would go either to the person
burning

> Would be a nice thing to do.
>
> > the CD as re-imbursement (blank CDs are only about a buck apiece at the
> > computer shows), or given to the IQ folks, for providing the food and
rooms.

> No need to give IQ money.

I know. It would just be a nice gesture, in return for them being gracious
enough to host our meetings, as well as provide food each month.