Barry Spindler on Fri, 26 May 2000 01:51:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] mingetty question

getty  opens  a  tty  port,  prompts  for a login name and
invokes the /bin/login command. It is normally invoked  by
init(8).
mingetty is a minimal getty (I believe) in that, afaik, it contains less
features then normal getty.
If you kill one, it will just be restarted by init. One must be running for
each VT so you can login to them. Once you login, mingetty
exits (because it's job is done), until you logout again and then it is
started again (by init) to wait for the next login.
Check out mingetty's manpage for more info..

	--Barry

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 12:33:37AM -0400, tgj@snip.net wrote:
> I ran the command ps aux and among the processes listed was:
>
> root       450  0.0  0.2  1060  380 tty5     S     1999   0:00 /sbin/mingetty tt
>
> This is listed a few times as tty4 tty3 etc. What is minigetty? My
> thought is from when I plugged in the keyboard and logged on and
> then I logged off but unplugged the keyboard.  Can I just kill these
> with no adverse affects?
>
> Tom

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is
constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role
they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume."
-- Noam Chomsky