Bill Jonas on Fri, 26 May 2000 08:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] My earlier KPPP question

I figured out what the problem was when trying to execute a script after
connection via KPPP.  I thought I'd share for the benefit of the group.
This was done on Debian-based Corel, but is applicable to most any
distro.

KPPP is indeed a front-end to pppd.  pppd, when it is executed, runs the
/etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down scripts after connection or
disconnection, respectively.  Debian has ip-up.d/ and ip-down.d/
directories under /etc/ppp/, which, as you've probably guessed, contain
scripts that also get ran after connection.  (SuSE looks for ip-up.local
and ip-down.local scripts that contain all the commands you want to
run.  I would imagine that most distros have some variation on this
theme.  Slackware 7 appears to have a nearly-empty /etc/ppp/ containing
just the 'options' file, but I'm not sure if this was modified by me
somehow or not.  In any case, one should be able to add ip-up and
ip-down scripts there to be executed by pppd.  I can't investigate this
further right now since Slackware is my third boot option on the machine
I'm on right now.)

Continuing, though, the last functional line in Debian's ip-up script is
'run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d'.  run-parts is basically a command to do a
'for i in *;do $i;done' on the specified directory, with a few
restrictions, such as filenames (see the man page on your system for
details, if run-parts is installed).  My script should have been
executed, since I didn't break any filename rules (in fact, it was all
alphabetic characters), but it wasn't.  It wasn't until I ran run-parts
manually on the directory that I discovered the problem.  run-parts was
refusing to run the script because there was no hash-bang line at the
beginning.  It was just an executable file with a single line for the
command I wanted to perform.  Once I added '#!/bin/sh' to the beginning
of the file, though, run-parts happily ran the thing.

Hope this was of some help.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/