Andrew Shinn on Fri, 26 May 2000 14:16:09 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Stupid Newbie Question

Greetings Plug folks,

I'm fairly new to Linux (I grew up on Macs and then learned a little about
navigating a Unix shell at school then was converted to using Linux by my
brother).  I put together a box recently with a nice new factory empty
harddrive and installed debian slink off of a cd.  Before I bothered
configuring any files (other than pppconfig) I then used apt-get
(fantastic thing that is) to do a dist-upgrade to potato versions of all
the packages that were installed when I selected the dial-up profile in
the installation process.  Anyway, everything seemed to go well with the
installation (the first I've ever done of any OS) except that I couldn't
make a boot floppy (I just had an old disk, and I figured that it just
didn't want to use it -- crappy medium, floppies).  But today I decided to
test it and I gave the command

$mount /floppy

And it couldn't find it in  /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab...

So what stupid thing have I done here???  Where do I begin looking for
information on this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Drew