rscudder on Fri, 26 May 2000 13:33:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

I think Nicolai is absolutely correct.

We have to get the word out first.  If the only people who show are us who
already have installed a gazillion times it will be a general waste of
time.  We need to get the message to people who would not normally hear it.

There are lots of general computer users groups in the area that may have
members who would be interested.  There is also the weekly talk show
"Computer Dudes" who, I think, would be happy to make a mention of it.

I propose two people volunteer to be responsible for the following:

1) General Event Manager - who will see that we have a place to do it and
that all the necessary equipment/utilities are present.

2) PR Manager - who will see that the message gets out to as many people as
possible, and will answer questions and represent all involved.

Please don't get all excited about the word "Manager" it's just a label I
used for lack of a better one.  The important thing is that a couple of
people take responsibility for seeing this thing is a success.

What do you all think of this approach?  I am willing to take a stab at PR
if no one else is interested.

Roger Scudder
Mail to: rscudder@annance.com

I think the most important part of this is the proper promotion. We've got
to spread it far & wide otherwise it'll become completely useless.

On Fri, 26 May 2000 darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:
>
> > The installfest sub-thread kind of died a couple days ago.  I'd still
> > like to do this, but I don't want to set something up and show up if
> > I'll be the only one there.
>
> I feel like I've heard comments that plug doesn't do enough a number of
> times.  I think this is pretty high on the list of things that plug aught
> to do, I just haven't felt up to attempting to organize it.
>
> I'd be happy to show up with my stuff.
>

> I know when I installed linux the 1st time, I was not alone.  2 good
> friends of mine came over w/ a Yggdrasil Linux (yes, that's a
> distribution) CD, a cdrom drive, and a cdrom drive controller (yes, that
> was necessary back then).  I'd bought a hard drive for the occasion, and
> we did horrible things to my stepdad's computer, but in the end, we were
> victorious.  Although it took me the next year to get X to
> work.  Ugh.  Heh, maybe that's why I'm so fond of the command line.
>
> So I kind of feel like I should pass on the favor, you know ?
>
> Actually, if anybody's loosing their mind & desparate, email me, you
could
> come over to my house (in northeast philly) & I could try to help you
out.

> If I ever get my house, specifically my basement, rewired, it might
> actually be an appropriate place for installfests.  I dunno.
>
> Hey, how do you say installfest in german ?

Nicolai Rosen
nick@netaxs.com
Earthstation/Netaxs
http://laktar.dyndns.org/