rscudder on Tue, 30 May 2000 10:56:08 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] NEWBIE INSTALL QUESTIONS

Jim...

Red hat 6 has everything you need configured out of the box.  All you need
to do is plug in your data which you can do by running Gnome as root.  From
the Gnome menu select:  "System|Linux Conf"  The Linux config interface is
organized into a tree.  Expand the branches to get to "Config - Networking
- Client tasks".  On this branch you can select "Name server
specifications" and enter your IP's name server(s) .  After that on the
same branch you will see "PPP/SLIP/PLIP".  This is where you "add" your IP
setup very much the same as you would for an ms- windows dialer setup.

I think that is it.  You can then use Usernet (look in the Gnome menu:
"Anotherlevel menu|Networking") to connect to your IP.  From the terminal
prompt (when X is not running) you can connect using the supplied scripts
"/etc/ppp/ip-up" and "/etc/ppp/ip-down".  I think those are the right ones.
I don't have a setup to look at right now.  The machine at work doesn't use
PPP and thus has a completely different setup.

That should be enough info to get you there... that and a little elbow
grease, that is.  :-)

Roger Scudder
Mail to: rscudder@annance.com

Jim McCoy wrote:

Also, I have RedHat 6.0 on one system and I want to install PPP.
The Linux book that I have is horrible and I'm not really learning anything
from it.
Is there some easy to follow instructions some where?

Thanks.

Jim Mc Coy