Matt Heyer on Tue, 30 May 2000 09:48:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] NEWBIE INSTALL QUESTIONS

Jim,
      For ease of install (and use), I would without a doubt recommend Corel's
Linx OS. I went to Corel's site downloaded and burned the latest ISO to CD,
then  installed it. It auto detected ALL of my hardware, even my USB equipment,
and nearly auto partitioned and installs itself. Once installed, it finds all
other bootable partitions and puts them into a GUI menu for you to choose from
at boot time.  For Example:
1. Corel Linux OS
2. Linux VGA
3. Linux Expert
4. ..
5. ..
6. MS Windows
The Best part about Corel is that it is based on Debian, So all of the packages
that are written for Debian, work in Corel.
If you can't download and burn a copy you can buy it for $14.00 at CompUSA. The
box has a $10.00 Mail-in rebate as well so what you really pay is $4.00. Not
Bad!

Matt

PS. Any O'Reilly Linux books are great references, for Redhat or any kind of
Linux .

Jim McCoy wrote:

> What would be the simplest distribution to install?
> That is which distribution would you recommend to a typical windows user
> who's only
> experience is with installing off the shelf software and probably knows
> nothing about
> hardware.
>
> Also, I have RedHat 6.0 on one system and I want to install PPP.
> The Linux book that I have is horrible and I'm not really learning anything
> from it.
> Is there some easy to follow instructions some where?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim Mc Coy

begin:vcard
n:Heyer;Matthew
tel;fax:(215) 283-4942
tel;work:(215) 283-4877 Ext. 126
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.quarterleaf.com
org:The Sycamore Group, Inc.;Database Services
version:2.1
email;internet:mheyer@thesycamoregroup.com
title:Consultant
adr;quoted-printable:;;580 Virginia Dr.=0D=0ASuite 100;Fort Washington;PA;19034;USA
fn:Matthew Heyer
end:vcard