Jon Nelson on Wed, 31 May 2000 07:28:11 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

Bill Jonas wrote:

> The installfest sub-thread kind of died a couple days ago.  I'd still
> like to do this, but I don't want to set something up and show up if
> I'll be the only one there.
>
> Is anybody interested?  Would anybody show up to help install?  Would
> anybody be there for help getting Linux installed and working on their
> machine?  Any suggestions about where to have this?  I think that it
> would be a Good Thing, but again, I don't want effort on my part to be
> wasted.  I'm only willing to do the work if there will be others to
> volunteer and people that want to install Linux present (sorry if that
> makes me sound selfish).
>
> The format I'm thinking of would be similar to
> http://www.svlug.org/wrkshop.shtml.  Volunteers would be asked to bring
> what they can among the following: their own machine, distro CDs, hubs,
> network cables, etc.  People going for install help would need to bring
> floppy disks and their machine (including essential peripherals:
> keyboard, mouse, monitor, power cords and strips for the preceding
> items, etc.), plus, if they can, their distro CDs, network cabling/NICs,
> hubs, etc.
>
> I can bring a machine to be used as a server for network installs, my
> personal machine, SuSE 6.3, Slackware 7, Corel 1.0 and 1.1, a crossover
> network cable (I don't have a "real" network set up yet, just a simple
> two-machine deal), two straight-through serial cables plus one
> null-modem adapter, an external modem, and a couple of power strips
> (mostly for my machines, but there will be a couple of spare outlets in
> a pinch).
>
> So how about it?  I'm thinking that a few hours some Saturday would be
> the most convenient for everybody, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
> I'm trying to gauge interest, so if you'd like to go, then say so.  :)
>
> Bill
> --
> >Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
> That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
> (Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
> on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/

I would be interseted in helping out as much as i could.  I have installed
OpenLinux several times on different machines including a laptop.  I not
sure if I would be any help but i would be willing to be a gopher as well.

Jon