Bill Jonas on Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:08:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL Question

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Tony Dominello wrote:

>I've just had my DSL installed, and I cannot get the ethernet card to
>talk to the DSL modem.  I keep getting a "connect: Network unreachable"
>error when I try to PING by IP address to the Nameserver.  When I bring
>up my ethernet card (via ifup) I get the message "SIOCADDRT: Neotwork is
>unreachable"

You may have to add a static route manually for the DSL modem, then add
it as your gateway.  Assuming a.b.c.d is your DSL modem and eth0 is the
card you're using to reach it,

# route add -host a.b.c.d netmask 255.255.255.255 eth0
# route add default gw a.b.c.d

Do note that this will make your local network unreachable if eth0 is
your only card.  You'll either need two cards or configure multiple
interfaces on one card.  (Support for this must be compiled into the
kernel, and the syntax for addressing the different interfaces, ie, IP
addresses, is eth0:0 for, say, a.b.c.d, and eth0:1 for e.f.g.h.  I
haven't played with this functionality yet.)

Good luck and HTH,
Bill

PS: More docs at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ADSL.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/