Steve D on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] BIND error / need explanation

Is this a 'rogue' caching DNS server?  As in, there is no DNS name for it in
your ISP's Name Servers for the reverse lookup there to fail?

What I think is happening is, you connect to the server, and try to
determine the name by doing a reverse lookup on the IP addy, and that fails
for some reason.  This reason could be that your ISP does not have that
address resolved to any name, or maybe it has one in the regular sense, but
not for reverse lookups.

You may be able to alleviate (sp?) this by putting in the forward and
reverse DNS entries for your server in the local server.  I think you can do
that and still cache through the ISP's DNS with no issues.

					-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.nothinbut.net]On Behalf Of Brent R. Matzelle
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2000 2:50 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: [PLUG] BIND error / need explanation

Whenever I try to run dnslookup to view DNS entries through my
DNS caching server I get the error:

Can't find server name for address 10.1.1.60: Timed out
Default servers are not available
Default Server: Unknown
Address: 10.1.1.60

However, the DNS server works.  It always gets me the IP address
of the server I'm looking for, but it always gives me that DNS
request timeout error.

It works and it might not be a problem, but can anyone tell me
what this message means?  Thanks.

Brent

=====
http://www.matzelle.net