Tony Dominello on Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Linux - Friendly ISP, The Saga continues

As many of you know, I had been searching for a Linux-friendly ISP for
my new DSL connection.  I thought I had found one.  They were young
(about a year in business) and seemed very willing to help me out with
Linux problems (even though their website mentions only Micros~1 product
support).  Also, as the more observant will notice, my e-mail address
has changed.  This should be a hint as to how things went with the old
company.

Well, recently, I had my DSL install and was attempting to connect to
their servers via what would become my firewall when I had some
problems.  I wrote of these problems on the list and got some advice
that I have yet to test out.  Read on.

After an hour on the phone with the company owner and a Linux trainee,
it became obvious that these folks knew about as much about Linux as I
did-- maybe less.  This is frightening because I am painfully aware of
how much I have to learn before I even call myself proficient-- let
alone proficient enough to administer an ISP network.  They finally told
me they thought the DSL modem (SpeedStream 5260) was incompatible with
Linux.  I doubted this, and told them so.  Even if it were so, hopefully
a Linux-knowledgable company would know that before trying it on some
unsuspecting newbie.

While researching my ethernet problems on CNET
(http://www.searchlinux.com), I came across a comment about an ISP who
offered (among other things) frontline support for Linux users.  Live,
tech support people, even!  Just what a snivelling, useless e-mail
posting newbie like me needs!

Anyway, I checked out their website (http://www.speakeasy.org) and
decided to call and see what they said.  They had the same deals, and
use Covad as their net provider, so I could still get my installation
rebate and all.

So far so good.  I had me old ISP release me (since I was in a 30-day
free evaluation period anyway) and now I belong to Speakeasy.  As soon
as I get my DSL switched over (I'm back to using dial-in for the
moment), I'll try again with (hopefully) some more helpful and
knowledgable tech support (and, of course, my good friends at PLUG!).

In a nutshell, the deal is this:

* Dialup account (30 Hrs/month)
* 608K/128K RADSL connection
* 1 Linux Shell
* 2 Static IP's
* 2 E-Mail
* Web Mail access
* 10MB Web page space

$59.95 (plus tax)

Next up, I try to connect at last.  I'll keep you posted.