Michael W. Ryan on Sun, 18 Jun 2000 17:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] 3com NICs

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Michael Leone wrote:

> Might be easier to just use a non-3Com NIC as eth1; less confusing that way,
> figuring out which board is which. NetGear NICs are only about $25 or so,
> and use a tulip driver. Not a requirement, just a suggestion.

Yeah, I thought about using a different kind of NIC.

> > Here's the configuration (I'm changing the network addresses
> > to a class-C private):
> >
> > Interface	Address		Mask
> > eth0		192.168.1.2	255.255.255.128
> > eth1		192.168.1.129	255.255.255.128
> >
> > eth0 is defined as the gateway interface with a gateway of
> > 192.168.1.19
> > (yes, I know it's non-standard, but it's the address of the router).
>
> So eth0 has a gateway of .19 (the router), and eth1 has a gateway of .2? And
> you want to forward from eth1 to eth0?

Umm... during the intial install, I was only asked for the gateway on one
interface (which was the eth0 one).  From everything I've read thus far,
in order to get packets forwarded from the network on eth1 to eth0, all I
need to do is enable IPV4 forwarding (which I have).  The only gateway
that needs to be know, I believe, is the one to go outside the two LANs,
which I've already specified.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

No, I don't hear voices in my head;
I'm the one that tells the voices in your head what to say.