Michael Leone on Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] 3com NICs

> Anyone have experience getting two 3com 905BTX-NM NICs
> working?  ifconfig insists on reporting both of the cards at IRQ 11 (my
BIOS
> reports one at 11 and one at 9).  The "irq" option does not appear to be a
> valid option when I try to specify it in /etc/conf.modules.
>
> I'm not sure if my eth1 card is functioning or not.  It comes
> up (if I try to do any IRQ configuring on it it tends to hang the system),
and its
> address responds to pings, but no traffic goes through it.

Well, pull the eth0 NIC out of the system (check the MAC address with
ifconfig; it should also be printed on the NIC somewhere; that will help
identify it). Then reboot. The existing NIC should then become eth0. And you
can check to see if the 2nd NIC is working that way.

Might be easier to just use a non-3Com NIC as eth1; less confusing that way,
figuring out which board is which. NetGear NICs are only about $25 or so,
and use a tulip driver. Not a requirement, just a suggestion.

> Here's the configuration (I'm changing the network addresses
> to a class-C private):
>
> Interface	Address		Mask
> eth0		192.168.1.2	255.255.255.128
> eth1		192.168.1.129	255.255.255.128
>
> eth0 is defined as the gateway interface with a gateway of
> 192.168.1.19
> (yes, I know it's non-standard, but it's the address of the router).

So eth0 has a gateway of .19 (the router), and eth1 has a gateway of .2? And
you want to forward from eth1 to eth0?