Bill Jonas on Sat, 1 Jul 2000 23:13:35 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Debian potato install on SPARC IPC

I'm having a little trouble net-booting and installing the latest Debian
potato on a SPARC IPC...

After some effort, I got RARP, bootp, tftp, and all that good stuff set
up.  I did have a problem with the file permissions on the tftpboot.img,
which, once I corrected them, allowed me to download it to the
IPC.  However, the system tries to execute the image, and it tells me
"Data Access Exception".

I've checked the docs regarding net-booting, and it didn't say anything
about this (at least, the ones that I've looked at).  I'm booting with
the console on ttyA, as I don't have a Sun monitor and keyboard.  There
is no operating system currently installed on the disk that I put in the
box.  I tried it a few times, getting the same error message each time.
I also verified the integrity of the tftpboot.img against the MD5 sums.

I do need to replace the PROM; I believe that the battery has failed.
In the mean time, I've programmed a host ID and Ethernet hardware
address according to the instructions at
http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html and leaving it on.
(Temporary solution; anybody know where I can purchase one of those
chips, and/or about how much I would expect to pay?).  Would this be the
cause of my problems, or is it related to some other part of the
hardware, or is it possibly buggy software?  Any help is appreciated.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/