William H. Magill on Sun, 2 Jul 2000 21:16:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] BellAtlantic.net and static IP

>   Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:25:39 -0400
>   From: Jeff Abrahamson <abrahj01@molbio.sbphrd.com>
>
>   I called bellatlantic to switch away from bellatlantic.net yesterday
>   afternoon. When I told the agent that my reason was wanting a static
>   IP (it would have gotten me nowhere to point out that they suck), she
>   surprised me by saying, "Yes, we used to offer them, and we're going
>   to again one of these days soon, because lots of people want them."
>
>   This is not a reason to go with ba.net, of course, but I thought it
>   interesting that they seem to have noticed.

Sigh.... Bell Atlantic.net (the ISP, which is different from Bell Atlantic
the tarifed DSL provider) has been saying that exact same thing since they
switched over to POE (PPP over Ethernet) back around Thanksgiving.

Don't expect a change anytime soon. Today, POE doesn't get along well with
static addresses and I doubt that they are going to convert back.

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/