Bill Jonas on Tue, 4 Jul 2000 14:46:52 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking and Diald

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:

>version and am ready to try it.  I was hoping someonehad some shortcuts
>or gotchas I need to look out for.

I haven't used it myself, but I have heard that one needs to have SLIP
enabled in the kernel of the machine on which you're going to use
diald.  If you use Debian (and want the machine to be dialed in all the
time), then 'mv /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot', I think
(but I don't believe that this is what you want).

Anyway, to reiterate, I've not used it myself.  I don't know if the
stock kernels of most distributions include SLIP (another method for IP
over serial line, but older and less widely used than PPP), but I
imagine that they would, at least as a module.  In which case you would
(obviously) need to have the module loaded.  If your kernel does *not*
have SLIP support in some fashion, then you'll need to grab the latest
kernel sources (2.2.16 closes up some vulnerabilities in the 2.2 series)
and roll your own, of course.

Note also that there is a recently-updated HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Diald-HOWTO.html.

HTH (at least a little),
Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/