Michael Leone on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 14:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] NDS for Linux

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Vettese, Nick A wrote:
>
> > Is there anyway for me to get NDS for Linux.  I can't find it anywhere
but
> > the Novell site.  I wasn't sure if there was a free version.
>
> The current newstand issue of _Linux Magazine_ (not _Linux Journal_) has
> an article about integrating Novell and Linux.  I don't know if it
> includes NDS (unfortunately, I don't have the issue with me).

No, it doesn't. I was reading it last week. It's more about using Samba, and
including IPX support, than anything else.

> There's a contributed Red Hat package called "ncpfs" which has the
> following description:

>                  ncpfs filesysten, which is a linux filesystem which
>                  understands the NCP protocol. This protocol is used by
>                  Novell NetWare clients use to talk to NetWare servers.
>                  This version of NCPFS works with kernel versions 2.0
>                  onwards, and also includes NDS support.

Right; that's the filesystem (to be able to mount/unmount Netware formatted
volumes), and the NCP protocol that Netware uses. It's not, however, the
same as NDS for Linux (which is a directory implementation, based on the
X.500 standard, I believe, with extensions).