darxus on Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:32:56 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Lilo / 1024 sector problem (dual boot)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Jim McCoy wrote:

> I have a friend who installed Mandrake on his machine that already had
> Windows -
> using partition magic.
>
> Now Linux won't boot and he gets a message indicating that Linux can't boot
> because
> it is loaded beyond sector 1024.  I believe this is a common problem.

Thought I heard this somewhere.... from http://judi.greens.org/lilo/:

'Big news: 1023 cylinder barrier broken!
John Coffman has added support for the new (1998) lba32 BIOS extension. If
your motherboard was made (or you upgraded the BIOS) after 1998, the new
Lilo will detect the BIOS extension, and you will be able to install LILO,
kernel, map, and message anywhere on the drive. Before this, you needed to
put them in a cylinder that ended on cylinder 1023 or lower. If your Linux
distribution came with an old Lilo, install with a boot floppy, get the
current Lilo, install it, and *then* set up Lilo. Don't let your distro
"make your hard drive bootable" unless you are sure it knows how.'