William H. Magill on Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:13:54 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] procmail filtering this list

>   On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:

>   That, IMO, is one great feature of using Mailman for list delivery.  I
>   used to have it sorting on something like '* ^TOplug@nothinbut.net' (the
>   ^TO tells procmail anything with that in the To:, Cc:, etc, fields),
>   which would break if it was sent to plug@lists.nothinbut.net.  Then, a
>   little later, This is what I put in my ~/.procmail/rc.maillists (which
>   is called from the mail .procmailrc):
>
>   :0:
>   plug
>
>   ...and it works just fine for me.  YMMV, but there's no reason why the
>   one you suggested:
>
>   >:0:
>   >* ^X-BeenThere:.*plug@lists.phillylinux.org
>   >IN.plug
>
>   wouldn't work.  If I'm not mistaken, after the initial '* ', it's all
>   just regular expressions, no?

Yes.

Procmail is truly worse than perl for allowing you to mess yourself up
multiple ways... by my reckoning all will work in 98+% of the cases.
My version(V4), do not pick up the announcements, but then that is
why they go to plug-announce, whereas the originally suggested technique
(V1) and, I believe V2 and V3 as well, put the announcements in the same
box as the mailing list.

I've been using....
V4----------------<cut here>-----------------------
# --------------                Phlia linux list
:0:
        * (^To:.*|^CC:.*)plug@lists
plug-box
----------------<cut here>-----------------------
and never had to make a change.

So then, the suggestions thus far:
V1----------------<cut here>-----------------------
:0:
* ^X-BeenThere:.*plug@lists.phillylinux.org
IN.plug
V2----------------<cut here>-----------------------
:0
* ^(From|Cc|To).*plug.*
Lists/PLUG
V3----------------<cut here>-----------------------
:0:
* ^Subject:.*\[Plug\]
PLUG

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/