Kevin Brosius on Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:21:49 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] PLUG spam (was ethernet cables (fwd))

> Did anyone else get this spam?  It appears my address was gleaned
> from PLUG posts.  I certainly did not post to PLUG any desire
> to buy ethernet cables.  We roll our own!
>
> ... and from an AOL account with machine running AOL for Windows.
>     blargh.
>
> -Andrew White
>  andrew@white.com

I haven't received that particular spam, but I think the problem is our
public archives.  I recently ran a net search (don't recall where, but
one of the public engines, probably Netscape's) and got a bunch of hits
for email lists I'm on.  It looks like the search engines are indexing
the mail archives available from our web page...  (Which means all the
email addresses are publicly retrievable.)

--
Kevin Brosius