Steve Creel on Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:38:44 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Arvhices

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Kevin Brosius wrote:

>I haven't received that particular spam, but I think the problem is our
>public archives.  I recently ran a net search (don't recall where, but
>one of the public engines, probably Netscape's) and got a bunch of hits
>for email lists I'm on.  It looks like the search engines are indexing
>the mail archives available from our web page...  (Which means all the
>email addresses are publicly retrievable.)

Not sure about other people, but I have very frequently found it helpful
to be able to search other user group's mailing lists.  I see the downside
to the public archives, but think that they help more than they hurt.
Anyone else have any commentary on the subject?

Steve Creel                           Nothin But Net, LLC.
                                      screel@nothinbut.net

"Always do right.  This will gratify some people and
astonish the rest."
		-- Mark Twain