Stephen Brown on Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:38:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Odd CRC file errors and md5 checksum mismatches - Any ideas?

Pete Foley wrote:
> I am having a very odd problem that I am unable to solve.  I have a box setup at home which is a file-print server, running woody.  When I try to copy large files to it, the files tend to get CRC errors.  So at first I thought it was my network, so I did some testing.  I made a CD image, and rar'ed it into about 50 rars.  Then tried to uncompress them.  I had to run the process several times before it finally worked - every time I ran it a different file would fail with a CRC error.  But when I would run it again, the initial erratic file would uncompress fine but another would then break.

I would suspect ethernet cables, any hub/switches in the network,
memory, and disks in that order.
The few times I have had wacky errors along those lines it has been
the memory was dying, or the disk was dying. Memory is easy to
check by taking it to a computer store and asking nice for them
to test it for you (just be sure you can see them test it
and read the output on the tester's screen). If the disk is dying
I usually start to see IO errors in dmesg or /var/log/* a few
weeks before things get really bad - I had an IDE disk die on
me last week :( - but Linux is good about trying again and
plodding through the random errors until the disk totally dies.
Have you tried just shutting the box down for an hour, let it
cool to room temp, and then try your huge file copy right at
startup?

Hopefully it is something easy to fix - good luck with it!
--
Stephen Brown                             Data Clarity, Inc.
steve@dataclarity.net    tel:(877)496-3527 fax:(801)382-1525