Jason Costomiris on Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:55:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DVD Rs and such..

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 03:12:44PM -0700, Inkdog.com Staff wrote:
:     Does anyone know if there is a DVD version of a CD R which would
: enable me to make personal copies of DVDs.  I have seen some out on the
: market.. so I assume the technology is there.  Has anyone used them?
: EIther with linux or windows?  Do they work well?

The answers to your questions, in order:

1) Yes, one exists
2) Yes, I've used them
3) With Windoze, but not Linux, due to UDF filesystem issues
4) Yes, they work great.

However, there's a big "but" here..  DVD-R drives cost about $5,000.
Not exactly in the price range for home users.  We've got people doing
DVD production, so we need it for one-off's, but it's definitely not
for the average user yet.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.