Charles Stack on Sun, 3 Sep 2000 10:18:03 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] identd question

Stupid question, but does the @home network allow you to use IP Masquarade?
Can they filter out those packets and effectively shut you down?

cjs

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of
Darxus@ChaosReigns.com
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2000 11:35 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] identd question

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 06:06:12PM -0400, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> I'm using masquerading.

Okay, so are you doing ipchains on the box that's masquerading ?  Are you
running ident on the box that's doing the masquerading ?

I've never gotten this to work, but I believe you need to run midentd on
the box that's doing your masquerading.

(debian package)
Package: midentd
 An identd  replacement with  masquerading support.  With  your average
 identd on a masquerading firewall, if  an ident request comes in for a
 masqueraded connection, it will  return 'ERROR : NO-USER' or something
 along those  lines. This may be  quite irritating at  times, with, for
 example, IRC servers  that won't let you in if they  don't get a valid
 ident reply.

> I don't have telnet installed.

You strange person, how do you live ?

(-- live on ssh, but use telnet for debugging all the time, just started
playing w/ netcat)

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com