Kevin Falcone on Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:32:18 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: Telnet and netcat (was: Re: identd question)

  BJ> What's so strange about it?  I have telnet installed, but I
  BJ> almost never use it.  The only time I could imagine actually
  BJ> using it to telnet somewhere would be to access some anonymous
  BJ> telnet service (don't know of any off the top of my head).

$ telnet rainmaker.wunderground.com 3000
Trying 216.34.4.106...
Connected to blackbird.wunderground.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
*               Welcome to THE WEATHER UNDERGROUND telnet service!            *

oh, and just generally poking at my smtp and http server, but I
understand that I could use netcat for that.  However, none of the
machines that I use regularly seem to have it installed, so telnet
seems to be a good fallback.

-kevin

--
Tout choses sont dites deja, mais comme personne n'ecoute, il faut
toujours recommencer.