Bill Jonas on Sun, 3 Sep 2000 04:37:15 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Telnet and netcat (was: Re: identd question)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000 Darxus@ChaosReigns.com wrote:

>> I don't have telnet installed.
>
>You strange person, how do you live ?
>
>(-- live on ssh, but use telnet for debugging all the time, just started
>playing w/ netcat)

What's so strange about it?  I have telnet installed, but I almost never
use it.  The only time I could imagine actually using it to telnet
somewhere would be to access some anonymous telnet service (don't know
of any off the top of my head).  Although I think that ssh will fall
back to an rlogin- or rsh-style login if it can't encrypt the session.
Hmm, I wonder if the ssh executable could be used for plain old telnet
sessions.

The one drawback, that I can think of, that netcat would have for an
interactive login session would be the behavior of ^C.  You wouldn't
want to attempt to kill a command and wind up killing your session.

Have you checked out some of the scripts in /usr/doc/netcat/examples/ ?

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/