Bill Jonas on Sun, 3 Sep 2000 13:15:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] identd question

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Beldon Dominello wrote:

>This came out on /. recently when they e-mailed rule changes to all their

Are you referring to the new VPN prohibition?  I remember seeing
something about it at
<http://slashdot.org/articles/00/08/14/1422257.shtml>.

>users.  Strictly speaking, the @-home rules do not allow masqing (something

I've perused their license agreement before, and it basically says, "You
can't hook more computers up to this than IP addresses you have."
Bummer.  But then, how would they know?  I seem to recall in the
discussion that by default, masq'd connections originate from a port
>60,000.  But you can also change this with a simple source code
modification, IIRC.

>about "don't use the connection as a hub on a non-@-home network").  I do know
>they routinely portscan all users' machines to see what services are active
>(the rules prohibit web hosting as well).

I've heard this as well.  As has already been suggested, a simple IP
chains rule, once you know the address(es) of the machine(s) they scan
with, and you won't have this problem.  But that seems as though it
would be a major pain.

>Personally, I don't care.  I don't use them.  They suck.  Now they suck even
>more.

Indeed.  I've considered them, especially during the Verizon strike.
(As I said to my fiancee, "I'd go with cable if it didn't suck so bad.")
I knew I could probably do masq'ing and run services and get away with
both.  But I decided to not encourage them and to take my business to
another provider, one who has a policy that's more palatable to me, as a
means of encouraging the sort of policy I find acceptable.

I noticed that your email address ends with @speakeasy.org.  That's who
I went with.  Still waiting for my install. :-/
<http://www.billjonas.com/dsl/>.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.billjonas.com/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/