Beldon Dominello on Sun, 3 Sep 2000 11:17:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] identd question

Darxus@ChaosReigns.com wrote:

> (debian package)
> Package: midentd
>  An identd  replacement with  masquerading support.  With  your average
>  identd on a masquerading firewall, if  an ident request comes in for a
>  masqueraded connection, it will  return 'ERROR : NO-USER' or something
>  along those  lines. This may be  quite irritating at  times, with, for
>  example, IRC servers  that won't let you in if they  don't get a valid
>  ident reply.

I'll give it a try, as soon as I find a binary or rpm! :-)

BTW, I have a dedicated firewall (custom-compiled kernel and all!) on which
I'm running RH 6.2.

> > I don't have telnet installed.
>
> You strange person, how do you live ?

On Emacs! ;-)

Actually, when I need to do something to my firewall, I just push the button
on my switchbox for the firewall machine and log in there!

BTW, this whole thing got started when I tried to log in to EFnet for our
IRC channel.  for some reason I can only find one server on EFnet that
doesn't insist on identd (irc.ais.net) and that one server has been
unreachable for a week now (unable to find route to host).

> (-- live on ssh, but use telnet for debugging all the time, just started
> playing w/ netcat)

Working on ssh implementation now.  My ISP supports it for my Linux shell,
so I'd obviously rather use it than telnet.

--
For translation, see http://www.kluge.net/ungeek.html