A V Flinsch on Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:42:00 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] LAN dies mysteriously

> Subject: [PLUG] LAN dies mysteriously
>
> I have a problem that I can't explain well: sometimes my LAN at home
> stops working. Each of the five machines on the LAN (3 intel/linux, 2
> Macs) appears to be working fine, but no one can ping anyone
> else. This happens quite sporadically, but every few weeks, so enough
> to be quite annoying.
>
> Powercycling the hub generally fixes the problem. It's a 10/100
> auto-switching hub; don't remember the make off hand.
>
> Has anyone any wisdom that might help me? So far my research has
> turned up nada. And I didn't think hubs were crashable.

I had a similar problem to that, except it was only 1 of the linux machines
which kept going offline.  I fixed it by setting up a cron job on the box which
was going dead, it now pings one of the other boxes every hour, and has been up
for over 2 weeks now without dropping off of the lan. I think that the nic was
crapping out if it did not see any activity.

 --
Alex
(Go easy on me, I'm a COBOL programmer in real life)