Chris Beggy on Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:39:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] learning TEX/LaTEX

shux@subculture.org wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I was wondering if anyone on this list is proficient in, or simply uses TeX or LaTex. I would like to learn this system and was just looking for pointers to books or resources for a beginner. My main goals are to write letters, essays, and especially research papers. Should I use something else? I have looked around a lot and found basic tutorials, but I was also wondering what peoples opinions on LaTeX are.

I've been a LaTex user for a while.  A nice TeX/LaTex distribution
will help get you off to a good start, and tetex is a good one.
In addition to the books previously mentioned, I think the "Latex
Companion" by Goossens is good.  The TeX/LaTex books are budget
busters, though, and not available in on-line form.

Lyx is also a good entry point if you want to get start producing
research papers right now, since it incorporates documentstyle
menus (IEEE, Phys.Rev., etc.)

Good luck.

Chris