M. Simons on Fri, 6 Oct 2000 14:45:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] the January LinuxPPC presentation

> >Speaking of *nix on the Mac, I heard that the proposal for a talk on OS X
> >was shot down.  Why?
> Because Chris said "Our name is the Philadelphia LINUX User Group"
just do Linux.
> >I personally would be very intrigued.  And it's not
> >as if Linux and a *BSD-based system don't have a lot of common ground...
> 	I agree, as do a number of others.  Perhaps that should be
> the first order of business at the next meeting (Nov.) to take a vote
> about whether we should do other Unixes (BSD, Solaris, etc.).

The real key to this topic is for someone to do a talk on "Linux and Mac
OSX Interoperability"  Before someone suggests that "those that suggest it
should do it.." well, maybe if someone buys me a box that I can run OS X
on, I might. :P But, until then...

I'm all for other lunixes -- esp. bsd -- however I think a key with any
meeting group is to stay focused -- lets face it... theres certainly
enough, if not too much to learn about our primary topic.

So, if you want to do a talk on something thats a little outside our
realm, think about how to make it relate to Linux.

I've certainly asked for (and received) help on other unixes before from
the group, so I am not for lynchings when slightly related but different
topics come up... but if we were to vote yes to doing other unixes... we
would no longer be PLUG -- we would just be a PUG -- and who wants to be a
dog?