beldon on Sat, 7 Oct 2000 09:49:54 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Newly GPL'd OLTP Database

For the benefit of whomever was looking for an enterprise-quality, preferably GPL database, please see the following:

http://eltoday.com/article.php3?ltsn=2000-10-06-001-13-PS

The rumors I reported at our last meeting turned out to be true.  SAP released their Adabase software as GPL (yes, GPL, *not* LGPL).

I personally have never worked with it, but R/3 (the EMC software package which SAP sells) is a true, top-of-the-line, enterprise-level program which has On-Line Transaction Process control(open, commit, rollback, etc.)

I can't tell you what a significant contribution this is to the Open Source/Free Software community.  Adabase, while not as prevalent as Oracle, has power at least on a par with it-- and now it's source can be used by all.

BTW, StarOffice 5.2 has an Adabase module that you can download seperately, but is part of the StarOffice Suite, if you want to start messing around with it now.

Anyway, I'm real excited about this (obviously).  This is no less significant a contribution than StarOffice, and potentially (with JFS/XFS/ReiserFS/ext3) the last pieces of the puzzle which allow Linux to scale up to full enterprise-level functionality.

Your humble and obedient,
            -Tony