Bob Razler on Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:44:07 -0400 (EDT)

RE: PPPoE (was RE: [PLUG] DSL, Bell Atlantic, and Me)

	I was experiencing that myself.  Bell was dropping me and other DSL users
after inactivity.  I found a little program that keeps me online now.  It
was a pain while it lasted.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Leonard Rosenthol
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 9:35 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: PPPoE (was RE: [PLUG] DSL, Bell Atlantic, and Me)

At 6:47 PM -0400 10/9/00, Andrew White wrote:
>For the record, DCANet does not use PPPoE.  PPPoE and DHCP are
>the two popular methods of assigning dynamic IP addresses to
>residential DSL customers.

	The two are mutually exclusive, Andrew!   DHCP is indeed a
method for assigning dynamic IP's, but PPPoE is just what the name
implies - it's a LINE protocol for controlling usage.

>PPPoE has a much larger following than does DHCP because it scales better.

	PPPoE has a larger following for the simple reason that it
allows ISP's to control (and more importantly TRACK) actual line
usage.  PPPoE means that the ISP can dynamically drop your connection
(usually when it's idle) and then you need to "redial" when you want
to connect again.   And because they can track your connect time,
they can (potentially!!) bill you per minute!

PPPoE - Just Say No!

Leonard
                   You've got a SmartFriend? in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol      			Internet:       leonardr@lazerware.com
					America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B  AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65