Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:48:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] surge protectors

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 08:17:49PM -0400, Tracy Nelson wrote:
> And if you do get one of these, make sure you replace it every few years.
> The components in these break down a little every time you get a voltage
> spike and eventually become unable to cope with a full-on lightning strike.
> Don't wait for your little "protection" light to go out, 'cause then it's
> too late.

Or just get a line conditioner. Then, as I understand, you're
inductively coupled to the line, but not hard-wired to it. So you get
a higher load limit than a UPS (I think mine is 8A--anyway, it's
enough that I used to have a laserprinter on it with no problem).

I actually have my UPSes and power strips plugged into my line
conditioner.

-Jeff

--
 Jeff Abrahamson