Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:55:48 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] mail questions

On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:46:55PM -0400, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:

> Mike Leone wrote:
>
> > GW supports POP3/imap, right? So just about any Linux mail program should work that understands pop3/imap. You won't get the scheduling and other features, but it sounds like you don't care about those.
>

> Sort of.  When using pop3, if you delete a message, it dosn't delete it
> out of your pop3 mail box.  So you periodically have to go in through
> groupwise and delete your mail.  The imap functionality isn't much much
> better.  Mozilla mail client is the only mail client that recognizes
> their format.  (tried KMAIL,StarOffice 5.2 and Evolution ( a new gnome
> mail client). It also dosn't support any of my biff mail checkers, all
> report errors when trying to see if i have new mail

What about using fetchmail and then letting your MUA of choice run on
your own machine, talking to $SPOOL (the file) and port 25 (your MTA
of choice).

pop3 is fully capable of deleting mail. Now, you may not have a fully
functional pop3 implementation, that's another story. But there is a
delete action. Just make sure you don't ask your pop client to leave
mail on the server.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson
 610/270-4845