M. Simons on Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:39:26 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] New space for PLUG meetings

Okay, so Cigna is available and conveniently (centrally) located.(Pro)
(Con) is that we need to provide them a list of names of who is going to
attend.  This may be good for a few times as a stop-gap measure but what
about people who just want to stop by on a whim? or people who hear about
the meeting through the website, advertisements/calendar listings, or even
guests of members? Or even people who don't WANT to give their name for
whatever reason? Con is also no net access.. although I'm thinking... what
was said was "no linux on the network" now, does this mean no net access
at all, or just no hooking up our own systems to their network?  If it
means no hooking up other systems to their network... that still might
mean we can arrange for access.. after all what do we normally do with net
access during meetings? Showing websites? downloading files? So maybe we
can't do that NFS install or demo a VPN solution in-action, but it's
better than nothing.  Also, speaking of better than nothing, maybe we
can't use the company connection and bandwidth but very least maybe we
could arrange for use of a phone line... so it's 56k but it's better than
nothing... who knows what might be possible. I assume we have the original
mentioner of this possibility, but I noticed another person also spoke up
as working there.. I don't know what anybody does, but maybe this would be
just enough responsibilty to get us what we need/desire.

Now we've already been over this discussion a few times...so maybe someone
should look through the archives if the discussion is in there...

A few things come to mind... maybe someone can refresh our memory on
anything we might have found out about the possibilites...

How about the Central Public Library? I'm pretty sure they have meeting
rooms we might be able to arrange for.. and they probably have net access
and projectors.

How about the Unitarian Church? I know they have all sorts of events
there, and if they don't have net access yet, maybe we can even work with
one of the local ISPs to provide them with net access since it would be a
tax deduction/for a non-profite organization. Or maybe one of the other
following possibilities that would also be similar:

Or maybe the Quakers?

How about the William Way Center?

Or maybe there is a YMCA(etc) we can do it at?

Netaxs in Conshohocken has basically been beaten to death... it's a good
location, good access, etc... but holding the meetings there would mean
that it isn't really P(hilly)LUG -- and Conshohocken is a bit of a travel
for people, say, in the NE and South Jersey, not to mention other areas.
Conshohocken is good for a one-time or occasional very-special large
meeting, but is not good for every month.  Besides, isn't Nick/Laktar
already hosting a Norristown-area LUG meeting there now?