Kevin Falcone on Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:21:39 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: New space for PLUG meetings

  WHM> I know better than to even waste my time asking around the
  WHM> University, because I know that since I'm not a "student
  WHM> organization" (and therefore have access to activity fee
  WHM> monies) I have to pay for any space I would use - be it
  WHM> "unused" classroom or swank new space in the Student Union,
  WHM> Houston Hall.

Actually, even as a board member of a "Student Organization" with
access to monies from two sources, we would have to pay for any room
outside of the engineering school.  Also, food is not permitted in 99%
of the university rooms.  Of course, the problem with the engineering
buildings is after hours access.  You need a penncard to get in, and
the bureaucracy gets really jumpy at the thought of 30 non-penn people
in a building after hours.

When we held our programming contest last year, we had to pay for a
security guard to sit in the hallway and eat pizza, at a cost of
$20/hour so that none of the students/chaperones would run wild in the
Moore building.

So, while it would be convenient, and there is definitely a loosely
distributed linux presence on campus, it would be a royal pain to organize.

-kevin

--
"The algorithm to do that is extremely nasty.  You might want to mug
someone with it."