Greg Lopp on Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:29:41 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: What's gone wrong w/ my CD drives?

Todd Lyons wrote:

> Greg Lopp wrote:
>
> > I have two machines, one dual-boots with Windows, the other is all
> > linux.  Sometime between now and my move a month or so back, I lost the
> > ability to read CDs from linux.  I can read them w/o any trouble from
> > Windows, I can write CDs - I just can't read/mount them.  There have
> > been no changes to the kernels.
>
> Distro?
> Version?
> Kernel Version?

They both started with a Redhat5.1 disk, and have had lots of package
upgrades since.  They are now running 2.2.14 kernel and helix-gnome.

> Using automount or manually mounting?

manual

> Post your /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro,exec,user
0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  defaults        0 0

> Using it from the command line or gui?

command line

> Post exact error messages

>From the machine w/ the cd-rw drive :
kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
kernel: ide-scsi: hdc: unsupported command in request queue (0)
kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2

>From the machine w/ the regular cd drive - I found what I expected to be the
root of all this....I'm an idiot who didn't update the symlink from
/dev/cdrom when I was swapping the drives around before the move.  This
one's OK now.  The CDRW is still not working....../dev/cdrom is linked to
/dev/hdc and the drive is secondary master.  I have the modules sg, ide-scsi
and scsi_mod loaded.

> Much more info needed, everything else you hear is just a guess unless
> someone has worked on YOUR machine before.

Very true.  And I fully expect to find something simple, basic and stupid at
the bottom of this...I just can't think of what to look for.